Joe Engressia, Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Vmware server is an application that can run on linux operating system. This application is used to run the operating system in a virtual on Linux Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic. This application helps you to learn the operating system in a virtual via ubuntu Karmic or Jaunty, because this tutorial can be run on Ubuntu linux Karmic and Jaunty.
- Vmware server that will be installed, conly work on kernel 2.6.30 and 2.6.31
- Download VMware server via it's official website.
After download the Vmware server, please save into /home so We can follow these article.
- Extract VMware-server-2.0.2-203138.i386.tar.gz into /opt
$ sudo tar -zxvf VMware-server-2.0.2-203138.i386.tar.gz -C /opt
- Go to vmware-server-distrib directory on /opt
$ cd /opt/vmware-server-distrib
- We should to be root, so can't get trouble when do the installation of vmware
$ sudo su
start the installation of vmware
- Update :
You might get error message when was compiling it, so let's repair it.
thdethe patches of vmware from vmware forum via console.
# wget http://communities.vmware.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/1285430-24470/vmware-server.2.0.1_x64-modules-2.6.30-fix.sh;jsessionid=B0B26F60331F0B4BE668D644B25D31FA
# wget http://communities.vmware.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/1285430-24471/vmware-server.2.0.1_x64-modules-2.6.30-fix.patch;jsessionid=B0B26F60331F0B4BE668D644B25D31FA
If you use firefox when download it, The patch file will be saved on desktop.
Let's run the patch script
# sh vmware-server.2.0.1_x64-modules-18.104.22.168-fix.sh
- When the installation of patch script finished, We have to remove /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary :
# rm -rf /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary
- Run the script of vmware-config.pl
- After do these command, We should have a Vmware server on our karmic.
Open firefox then type :
please login with the correct user and have the right as root.