momohumtolearnfree home Grab your ads here. Only $4.99 for one month

Mount Linux Mint Drives

My special thanks to Blogger and Visitors. If You like this, please help us to share:
Digg Technorati del.icio.us Stumbleupon
Bookmark and Share

Mine was a slightly different story. I couldn't get grub to find the stage1 file or even recognize my drive. So I borrowed some knowledge I picked up while using Gentoo:

You have to mount your root partition using the livecd:
Code:

$
Code:

sudo mkdir /mnt/root

$
Code:

sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda6 /mnt/root

Then you have to mount the proc subsystem and udev inside /mnt/root also:
Code:

$
Code:

sudo mount -t proc none /mnt/root/proc

$
Code:

sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/root/dev

Doing this allows grub to discover your drives. Next you have to chroot:
Code:

$
Code:

sudo chroot /mnt/root /bin/bash

Now that you're chrooted into your drive as root everything should work.
Code:

#
Code:

sudo grub

I edited in the sudo, just to be safe. When I enter grub and not sudo grub, grub cannot find the file. I do not know if the chroot changes this because I did not try it that way. In the end I figured it was better to err on the side of caution. Tosk I hope you don't mind my editing of your reply.
grub>
Code:

find /boot/grub/stage1


It found mine on (hd0,5)
Code:

grub>
Code:

root (hd0,5)

It successfully scanned the partition and recognized the filesystem-type
Code:

grub>
Code:

setup (hd0)

That was it. It installed and on reboot I was thrown back into Ubuntu.

This might help some people who are having issues so I thought I would post it.

PLEASE NOTE: My Ubuntu was installed to /dev/sda6. This may not be the same for everyone. /dev/sdaX means it's SCSI/SATA/USB/FireWire drive. And it's partition 6 because I have a weird partitioning scheme in place.

Comments :

0 comments to “Mount Linux Mint Drives”

Post a Comment

 

Tolearnfree Tags

Translator

Follow

The Directories of Tolearnfree